Link to Infiniti News
The 2005 Infiniti Lineup – Charting the Changes [Sept. 1, 04]
Coming off yet another year of record sales in 2004, Infiniti enters the 2005 model year with a number of major product enhancements – led by the revised styling of the flagship Q45 and G35 sedans, a more powerful G35 Coupe 6MT model (now with 298 horsepower) and the introduction of Infiniti’s Lane Departure Warning system (LDW) on the Infiniti FX, the first production vehicle in North America to offer this advanced safety system.
In addition, the all-new 2006 Infiniti M is right around the corner (set to go on sale in spring 2005), sporting a stunning new design that will give Infiniti an unbeatable lineup of V8 and V6 performance luxury sedans. More information on the new M sedan will be available later this fall.
In 2005, as always, Infiniti remains one of the leaders in the automotive industry in the development of new automotive technology, including the advanced ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive system utilized in the FX and new G35x sedan, RearView Monitor, Intelligent Key, Intelligent Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning and many other systems.
Following is an overview of the Infiniti Division products for the 2005 model year:
Infiniti G35 Sedan
The 2005 G35 sedan continues with a number of significant enhancements for the new model year, including a restyled exterior, upgraded interior and additional horsepower.
The exterior features include a new hood and trunk, new front and rear bumpers, body-colored side sills, revised headlight lens and new dual circle taillights. The changes to the interior include a new, even higher quality look and feel with the use of real aluminum trim and new available Rosewood trim, along with a redesigned instrument panel and console area.
The G35 sedan’s standard 3.5-liter V6 engine now offers 280 hp and 270 ft-lb of torque, increases of 20 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque for automatic transmission equipped models. The G35 6MT model with close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission receives 38 additional horsepower to 298 hp.
Other changes include the addition of larger brake rotors and a revised Sport-Tuned Suspension Package (which now includes 18-inch wheels and tires and Viscous Limited-Slip Differential) and the addition of mp3 playback capability to the already standard 6-disc CD changer, manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel (with available power function) and available Infiniti Intelligent Key system.
Enhancements to the 2005 G35 Sedan include:
· Revised exterior, designed to convey sporty character and match vehicle’s dynamic performance
· New hood, trunk, front and rear bumpers, side sills
· Revised headlight lens and new dual circle taillights
· New exterior colors – Lakeshore Slate and Serengeti Sand
· Additional 20 horsepower (5AT), additional 38 horsepower (6MT)
· 18-inch wheels and Viscous Limited-Slip Differential on Sport-Tuned Suspension Package
· Larger diameter front and rear stabilizer bars
· Available Intelligent Key system
· New, high quality interior look and feel with refined materials and textures, including real aluminum and available straight-grained Rosewood trim
· Redesigned instrument panel and console
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Infiniti G35 coupe expands its performance capabilities for the 2005 model year with the addition of Sport-Tuned Suspension Package featuring 19-inch wheels and tires, drilled aluminum pedals and Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD). The G35 Coupe 6MT model with 6-speed manual transmission receives 18 additional horsepower, increasing power output to 298.
The 2005 G35 coupe’s interior has also been refined with a new instrument panel and console area and use of new materials and textures, including the addition of real aluminum trim on the center console, door grips and dash, and mp3 playback capability added to the standard 6-disc CD changer. Ultra-soft leather-appointed seats are now standard on all models. Other changes for 2005 include the addition of three new exterior colors and two new interior colors.
Enhancements to the 2005 G35 Coupe include:
· Additional 18 horsepower (298 hp) for G35 Coupe 6MT model
· Standard Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) on Sport-Tuned Suspension Package and G35 Coupe 6MT models
· Available 19-inch polished aluminum-alloy wheels and 19-inch performance tires
· Redesigned instrument panel and console with use of real aluminum trim
· Two new available interior colors: Wheat (beige) and Stone (gray)
· Available drilled, aluminum pedals
· Power recline added to front seats
· Three new available exterior colors: Serengeti Sand, Lakeshore Slate and Athens Blue
Infiniti Q45 Performance Luxury Sedan
Infiniti’s flagship Q45 premium luxury sedan receives a more distinctive, more aggressive exterior appearance for the 2005 model year, including new front and rear fascias, restyled hood and grille, new headlight design, new integrated fog lamps, restyled trunk decklid and finisher, LED taillights and new fine-line chrome trim throughout.
In addition, the Q45’s advanced 5-speed automatic transmission has been recalibrated for improved downshift response and smoother acceleration. The Q45’s performance-tuned active damping suspension, previously available only on the Premium model, is now standard on all 2005 Q45s. A new 17-inch wheel design with a titanium-colored finish is standard on Q45.
Enhancements to the 2005 Q45 include:
· Revised exterior appearance with new front and rear fascias, new grille, hood and head lights, new integrated fog lamps, new trunk decklid and finisher, LED taillights and fine-line chrome trim
· Two new metallic exterior colors – Lakeshore Slate (medium blue) and Beryllium (medium brown)
· New available 7-spoke 18-inch alloy wheels and P245/45VR18 all-season performance tires and available 8-spoke 18-inch chrome-finish wheels (Premium Package)
· New sport contour front seats and double-stitch style front and rear seats
· New all-white meter cluster, soft touch paint, real metal knobs on control panel, new shifter bezel and additional chrome accents throughout the interior
· New dual-tone Black and Firebrick interior color combination
· New dark genuine Bird’s Eye maple wood trim accents
Infiniti FX Premium Crossover SUV
The Infiniti FX returns in 2005 with its unique blend of uncompromising style and luxury in a technically advanced, performance crossover SUV. The changes to the FX for the 2005 model year are led by enhancements to its safety features, including standard roof-mounted supplemental curtain air bags and the first-time availability of Lane Departure Warning system (LDW) on a passenger vehicle. LDW works to alert the driver to any unintended movement of the vehicle out of a designated traffic lane. It is the first automotive application of LDW in North America.
The FX is again available in both FX45 and FX35 designations. The all-wheel drive FX45 comes with a standard 315-horsepower 4.5-liter DOHC V8 (based on the Infiniti Q45 powerplant) and includes 20-inch wheels and tires, leather-appointed seats and a sport-tuned 4-wheel independent suspension. The FX35 features a 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and is available in all-wheel or rear-wheel drive. All FX45 models utilize a modified version of the advanced FM (Front Mid-ship) platform, enhanced for SUV duties.
Enhancements to the 2005 FX45/FX35 include:
· Available Lane Departure Warning system (LDW)
· Roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with rollover protection for front- and rear-seat occupant head protection; rollover sensors
· New exterior colors – Sapphire and Sheer Platinum
· New Intelligent Key
· Available Intelligent Cruise Control
Infiniti QX56 Full-Size SUV
The Infiniti QX56 full-size luxury SUV enters the 2005 model year with only minor enhancements – most notably the addition of the RearView Monitor to the vehicle’s extensive list of standard technology and convenience features.
Every QX56 comes equipped with a standard 5.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 engine, producing 315 horsepower and 390 lb-ft of torque, mated to a refined 5-speed automatic transmission. All QX56 all-wheel drive models feature an advanced, All-Mode 4WD® full-time design with infinitely variable torque split (maximum 50:50 front/rear).
The 2005 Infiniti QX56 also offers bold, advanced exterior and interior styling, with a large, Infiniti-style grille, xenon headlamps and LED taillight treatment, along with a sophisticated and refined look and feel inside.
Enhancements to the 2005 QX56 include:
· Standard active head restraints for driver and front passenger
· RearView Monitor and Rear Proximity Sensor (included as standard equipment)
Infiniti M Performance Sedan
The 2006 M, available spring 2005, optimizes both luxury and sport styling to create a dynamic visual appeal. The exterior design features a low, aggressive hoodline, which flows into the anchored shoulders and contributes to the sporty, powerful silhouette. Inside, the interior is highly expressive, combining a driver-oriented cockpit with an Infiniti level of luxury and design detail.
At the heart of the Infiniti M is the high-performance power of a choice of advanced V8 or V6 engines, with the vehicles badged M45 or M35 accordingly. The M45 features the 4.5-liter DOHC V8 currently used in the Infiniti Q45 and FX45. For use in the M45, it produces 340 horsepower. The M35 is powered by a 3.5-liter DOHC engine producing 275-plus horsepower. Both the M45 V8 and M35 V6 are mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission with short-throw performance shifter and manual shift mode.
Advanced technology is abundant on the M45 – starting with a new Rear Active Steer system, which helps improve vehicle handling performance by adjusting the geometry of the rear according to steering input and vehicle speed. Also featured on the M45 is a new Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system, which helps warn the driver of a pending, unintended lane departure (LDW makes its North American automotive production debut in the 2005 Infiniti FX crossover SUV).
Highlights of the 2006 M include:
· Sporty, luxurious design
· Stable posture with long wheelbase (114.2 inches), wide tread and short overhangs
· Low, aggressive hoodline and anchored shoulders provides a sporty, powerful silhouette
· Enhanced, “next generation” FM (Front Mid-ship) platform
· 32-valve 4.5-liter DOHC V8 producing 340 horsepower; 24-valve DOHC 3.5-liter V6 producing 275-plus horsepower
· 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with manual shift mode
· Enhanced power-assisted steering system with sport ratio
· Available 19-inch wheels and high-performance tires
· Inviting interior feel with available aluminum or genuine Rosewood trim and leather appointments
· Large cabin space, able to fit five adult passengers comfortably
· Available Bose® Studio Surround™ audio system with 14 speakers, 5.1-channel decoding with two personal speakers mounted in each front seat
· Bluetooth wireless connectivity
· Available Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system with cancel switch